Monday, November 23, 2009

Worst Nightmare

“I have been married: and the women to whom I was married lives!…Some have whispered to you that she is my bastard half-sister: some, my cast-off mistress; I now inform to you that she is my wife, whom I married fifteen years ago,- Bertha Mason by name…Bertha Mason is mad; and she came of a mad family;- idiots and maniacs through three generations!” (296)

Which may be the worst that can happen to someone who is going to marry? Before reading this part of the chapter, I have had asked myself this same question. And things come across my mind; for example having a stain in your wedding dress, or for the any of the two to change their mind of marring each other. But never in my life has it ever occur to me that the worst nightmare that you could have about your wedding would be that the one you love the most is married to someone else. And he never told you about it. Someone else had to intervene and cancel the wedding in order for you not to be fooled by the so called “future husband.” I’m sorry to hear that Jane had to go through all this awkward situation. This is one of those times where I don’t wished to wear her shoes. But then, I know that I told her that she should of find someone better; someone that would treat her right, and be worth her love. But she got carried away, she made her decision and now she’s suffering the consequences. She was thinking with her heart, but unfortunately she wasn’t thinking with her head. Before she even found out about the scandal; she didn’t want to accept gifts from Mr. Rochester because she had a great self respect. She was an independent woman, who wasn’t going to let a man buy her love. But now that she is alone, hungry, and homeless, she is beginning to depend on people’s food and pity. She lowered her self respect as fast as snapping my fingers. Jane wouldn’t have had to go through all of this this is if she would of followed my advises, and if Mr. Rochester wasn’t such a liar and would have told Jane that he was married to someone out of their mind. I wished this was all a nightmare, where Jane could wake up like nothing had happened and to have followed my advises, but also to have not just only listen to her heart but to also think about the consequences of her actions.

This is a picture of how I think Jane looks now that she's alone in the streets. How she seems like she has no self respect, and she's dependent on others now.

Beggar
By: Matti Mattila
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattimattila/2789102341/

1 comment:

  1. You do a great job of imagining Jane's situation and her resulting feelings.

    Is your picture reference supposed to have a link?

    ReplyDelete