Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Hey, What Are We Doing Here?

Someone asked in class about the title of this blog. It alludes to the book Everything I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten by Robert Fulgham, which came out in the 1980s. Its premise was that we learn the key concepts of life -- about work, play, and interactions with others -- in our early years, and these often get "taught" out of us as we move toward adulthood. I thought that we might apply the same concept to Jane Eyre, since Jane shows us what it means to make your way in the world on your own.

Now, as for this blogging thing that we are doing.... I was interested to hear what you all had to say about what you are learning. Yes, I hope that you are learning to dig deep, as Angelica said, and I hope you can transfer this skill to your writing for other classes. But I am absolutely thrilled (no one should be surprised at this) with what Kevin said: "I don't just have one teacher now; I have nineteen." Yes, yes, we can all learn from one another. That's one of the life lessons all of us should remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment