Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Don't Run



Some time in the afternoon I raised my head, and looking round and seeing the western sun gilding the sign of its decline on the wall, I asked, "What am I to do?" But the answer my mind gave--"Leave Thornfield at once"-- was so prompt, so dread, that I stopped my ears: I said, I could not bear such words now. (302)

Jane has now found out about Mr. Rochester's first marriage. Jane is filled with confusion and sadness; she has no idea what to do. We all know that Jane decided to run away, but was this really the best option for Jane? I believe that Jane should not have run away from Thornfield. Yes, Mr. Rochester did Jane wrong, but I don't believe that she should have run away. Jane should have faced her fears and consequences another way.

By leaving, Jane only inflicted more pain on herself. She left with absolutely nothing; no money, no place to go, and it seems to me with no state of mind. I believe that Jane should have looked over the situation once more. Mr. Rochester was married, but does Jane realize the circumstances. It seems to me that Jane did not think of the consequences of her future before she left Thornfield. Her main goal was only too run away from the challenges that were brought forth to her, and that is where I think she made the wrong choice. Like Adolf said, " You should, when leaving, make sure that you have all the resources necessary to leave that way you do not end up like a vagabond or bum like Jane." Jane did not do this. Jane made a rather bizare choice by leaving without anything, which could have killed her, but thankfully it didn't. Jane really needs to take a moment and think before she chooses what road to take; If not she could really be in for some trouble.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your post and the picture that accompanied it and how it related to your thoughts.

    While I agree that simply leaving because of "confusion and sadness" is not a good reason, wouldn't there be situations where you had "absolutely nothing; no money, no place to go" but you should still leave? What if you found out that someone was morally reprehensible happening?

    Every time you make any decision you should weigh the costs and benefits. What do you think Jane perceived the costs and benefits of leaving were? Do you think Jane misunderstood the true costs and benefits or did she simply make a rash decision?

    ReplyDelete