Friday, November 6, 2009

Jane listen to me!

“Precisely: I see you do. I see genuine contentment in your gait, and mien, your eye and face, when you are helping me and pleasing me—working for me, and with me, in, as you characteristically say, 'all that is right:' for if I bid you do what you thought wrong, there would be no light-footed running, no neat-handed alacrity, no lively glance and complexion. My friend would then turn to me, quiet and pale, and would say, 'No, sir; that is impossible: I cannot do it, because it is wrong;' and would become immutable as a fixed star. Well, you too have power over me, and may injure me: yet I dare not show you where I am vulnerable, lest, faithful and friendly as you are, you should transfix me at once.”


Dear Jane,


I think that it would be a good idea that you and Mr. Rochester keep the relationship you have solely professional. You see once you get involved in an intimate relationship with your boss complicated things become even more complex. As Mr. Rochester is telling you in the quote above, when one gets in a relationship one person often gains power over the other and may be able to hurt the other person. He believes that Jane is getting at that point where she had the strength to injure her boss, Mr. Rochester, and this can put her in a bad situation with her job. Let's say that she did do something that hurt Mr. Rochester. At that point in her life she is at risk of not only losing her job but getting a bad reputation as a governess. And as it is stated in an article in The New York Times(http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/24/fashion/sundaystyles/24HARASS.html), nowadays a relationship like that can lead you in court.

4 comments:

  1. You give good advice, but might take more time to connect it to the context of what is happening in the quote you give us. Also, explain the NY Times article and how it relates to the novel? What do you think you would do in a situation like this? Is it different for men than it is for women?

    (Make your link work?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...you might want to take a look at this comment by Mr. Rochester to Jane now that you know what has happened later in the book?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be sure to include a page citation for the quote.

    ReplyDelete