Thursday, November 12, 2009

Forgive and forget?

"The well-known face was there: stern, relentless as ever--- there was that peculiar eye which nothing could melt; and the somewhat raised, imperious, despotic eyebrow. How often had it lowered on me menace and hate! and how the recollection of childhood's terrors and sorrows revived as I traced its harsh line now! And yet I stooped down and kissed her: she looked at me?
Is this jane Eyre? she said
Yes, aunt Reed. How are you, dear aunt?" (234)


Dear aunt? How is she dear? When in her life did she ever treat you like a human being? How can you just forget all the pain? In this part of the novel Jane has been called by Mrs.Reed on her deathbed to come and talk to her. As if she has the right to ask for anything. However, Jane decides to go and spends about a month at Gateshead. I am so shocked at this reaction Jane had towards that evil woman. She never treated Jane with any type of love, why should Jane even recognize her as her aunt?
This scene in the book really shows how good Jane is. She's able to forgive and forget and even asks for forgiveness. However, while it may be a good thing that she is respectful, since when did we have to love those who cause us pain. Mrs.Reed has been nothing more than an evil witch to Jane. Casting her away from her family, treating her as if she were less of a human. She never earned the title dear aunt.
I was honestly anticipating a lot of conflicts between the both. Mrs.Reed hated Jane. Why should Jane even act courteous towards her. I understand that Mrs.Reed is about to die, but that does not excuse the way she treated Jane. I honestly hate the fact that Jane has forgiven her.
I myself have gone through the same thing with my father. It's been about ten years and it seems as if I will never forgive him. How can Jane so easily treat that woman with any respect? Where did she find the courage to return to that place that held all her painful past? Maybe Jane is nicer and a lot braver than I, but that woman did not deserve her forgiveness.
I am also not the only person to believe we shouldn't forgive those who cause us pain. Rodney Mullins in on of his pictures states,"How can I forgive when it hurts so much." Maybe Jane is no longer in pain about the past, but her past is why she is so careful. Why should she forgive her aunt?
http://rodneymullins.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/forgiveness.jpg

1 comment:

  1. You have an interesting debate with yourself here. I like that you comment on Jane's goodness. You look closely at the issue of forgiveness -- if we are supposed to be good, should we forgive those who don't deserve it? Is that what goodness really is? Is Jane too good?

    Tell us more about how you see the image relating to your points here?

    ReplyDelete