Friday, November 6, 2009

Watch the road on which you travel

Dear Jane,
I understand that you have developed feelings for your boss, Mr. Rochester, and to this I have only one thing to say: proceed with caution. You are in a very delicate situation, Jane; you seem to have fallen for a man who has many secrets and is very deceptive. He is a very odd character. He isn't someone who seems like he can stay in one place too long. He regularly leaves Thornfield and returns for moments at a time; he doesn't seem like the type of man that would settle down for a woman. Also his past experience with Adele's mother more than likely made him very cautious and suspicious person. He will constantly be trying to keep an eye on you. Mr. Rochester is also a very confusing person. He leads you on in ways, for example, when he tells you “Good-night my _____” (184). Yet he continues to keep in touch with Miss Ingram, and he also plans on marrying her as shown in this quote: “'Well whatever I am, remember you are my wife'... She giggled and her colour rose” (187).

Well, Jane, in the end you must do what your heart tells you; it'd be too difficult for you to live with yourself wondering what if. But at the same time you must be cautious of your actions; don't just throw yourself at him because this could end very badly for you. Jane you must listen to your heart but let yourself be guided by your mind.

4 comments:

  1. You say Mr. Rochester is a very secretive person and that it's not necessarily a good thing. Well I disagree. There are quiet people who keep everything to themselves, but it's not a bad thing. You also say he leads her on in different ways, but how do you know he doesn't mean it? He probably loves her as well and wants to let her know how he feels about her, but can't because,like you said, he is a very suspicious man who keeps everything to himself. But I do agree with you when you say she should just follow her heart. Who are we to tell her whether or not she should give Mr. Rochester a try or not? She should be the one making her own decisions, not us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to have chosen a neutral side as I did. You tell Jane to go for it but at the same time not to.There is one thing that also corresponds with your ideas. Mr. Rochester also can't stop thinking about Jane. That is why he wants her around every time he is around. It is not like he is actually going to marry Miss Ingram. What I think is that he is using her as a scapegoat to protect Jane from Grace Poole. It seems that Grace attacks Mr. Rochester's life and friends. It is like he is trying to protect her from Grace by using Ingram. This shows how much he cares about her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what your advising Jane. She should be cautious about falling in love with Mr. Rochester. He seems to be too mysterious and she might end up getting hurt. But I think you're not making it clear enough in what Jane should do. If I was Jane, I wouldn't really know what you would want me to do. She might misunderstand what you said and do the complete opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lot of good evidence on why she shouldn't be talking to Mr. Rochester, and I strongly agree with every point you made. In my blog I also state that Mr. Rochester is too suspicious and has many secrets that Jane may not know about, which is something I think Jane should reconsider and think about. One thing that I wanted to know was what is your personal opinion on what would happen if she chose to be with Mr. Rochester. You do tell Jane to be careful and cautious of her actions because things may end up messy, but is that what you believe, or do you think everything will work out for Jane.

    ReplyDelete