Thursday, November 12, 2009

Happiness

Jane:"He kissed me repeatedly. When I looked up, on leaving his arms, there stood the widow, pale, grave, and amazed. I only smiled at her, and ran upstairs. 'Explanation will do for another time,' thought I. Still, when I reached my chamber, I felt a pang at the idea she should even temporarily misconstrue what she had seen. But joy soon effaced every other feeling;" (260)

From this quote I can tell that Jane is finally happy. She finally got what she wanted: to find love. Although she is very happy about Mr. Rochester proposing to her, not only did she find love with a man, but she also found the kind of love that makes her feel wanted. No one showed her love when she was a child, and now that she has found someone that loves her, it is only understandable that she is really happy. Every child deserves to be loved, but instead, Jane was treated with such cruelty by her aunt.
I'm kind of happy for Jane because I think she deserves to be happy with the one she loves after a life of bad treatment by others. It seems as if she doesn't care about anything else because she is happy where she's at. This isn't going to help her forget about her past, but instead deal with it. I'm really hoping that everything between her and Mr. Rochester work out.

Happiness is one of the things Jane never had as a child. Here is a picture of a happy child:

Title: Oh Happy Day!
By: OakleyOriginals
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oakleyoriginals/3065393607/

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. I honestly believe that Jane and Mr.Rochester belong together. They may not be perfect for each other, but in the face of love we look pasts each others problems. What do you think will happen if Jane is left destroyed by Mr.Rochester? What if his past is to much for her to handle? Do you think she will be strong enough to remake her life? She is a young girl, but what if this love is so strong it destroys her for the rest of her life? I know it might be a little cliche but it could happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane's past has played a big role in how she is now? If her aunt didn't treat her the way she did, who knows how Jane would be? Even though she wasn't happy as a child she is happy now. Isn't that what counts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cassandra, you make interesting points here. I'm wondering if Jane is an easy target, though, because she needs love so much. Is she so in need of love that she overlooks other problems? These will only rear their ugly heads later, don't you think?

    I'm especially interested in what you say about Jane feeling wanted. Do you think this is really important? What does this tell you about your own life? Is being wanted a determining factor for most of us, regardless of our childhood experience? Can it sometimes take over our decision making?

    ReplyDelete