Monday, November 23, 2009

Mr. Rochester and The Black Gates


(Photographer: Gwinva, Title: Iron yett Blackness Castle, http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Iron_yett_Blackness_Castle.jpg)

"'Sir, your wife is living: that is a fact acknowledged this morning by yourself. If I lived with you as you desire, I should then be your mistress: to say otherwise is sophistical--is false.'" (Jane)(309)
"It gazed and gazed on me. It spoke to my spirit: immeasurably distant was the tone, yet so near, it whispered in my heart - (Jane)
'My daughter, flee temptation.' (Jane's mother)
'Mother, I will.' (Jane)
So I answered after I had waked from the trance-like dream." (Jane)(325)
“The great gates were closed and locked; but a wicket in one of them was only latched. Through that I departed:it, too,I shut; and now I was out of Thornfield.” (Jane)(326)

Mr. Rochester is an evil person. He tries to marry Jane while he is currently married to Bertha Mason. This could have sabotaged Jane's future. If Jane would have married this guy she would not be his wife but a concubine. The only thing that is worse is that Jane was sucked in by his lies and fell for him without taking caution. This makes Jane look like a fool for falling into something she could have investigated. There is the chance that Mr. Rochester could have divorced Bertha, but he cares more about his ego and what people would think of him if he divorced Bertha. If he really did care for Jane, he would have divorced Bertha, explain to Jane about his past with Bertha, and ask Jane's hand in marriage. If things went more like this, Jane would have most likely married Mr. Rochester, but instead Mr. Rochester has to lie his way into marriage. Jane you did the right thing when you ran away from Thornfield.
Eduardo's blog, Can love cure deceit?, talks about how love can overcome hardships. I agree with this statement but there is a line to which love cannot overcome difficult hardships. The situation of Jane and Mr. Rochester crosses that line. I don't think love can solve this problem.
There is also a symbol in the book. The gates in which Jane opens to leave Thornfiled is a symbol. She destroys her life at Thornfield and creates a new life. The gates are the threshold to a new world. She is skeptical at first because Jane realizes that once she steps out there is no turning back. Jane leaves after she dreams about her mother telling her to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment