Thursday, November 5, 2009

It won't work

Jane, do you really think Mr. Rochester cares about you in the same manner you care for him? He knows you have feelings for him, and you know he has feelings for you, but he doesn't respect you. He is your boss, that's true, but if he wanted to be with you in a romantic way, then he would show more respect for you. A big way he does not show respect for you is that he is getting married. A conversation you two had stuck out to me.
He said “...the night before I am married! I am sure I shall not be able to sleep. Will you promise to sit up with me to bear me company? To you I can talk of my lovely one: for now you have seen her and know her.”
To which you replied with only a “Yes, sir.”
He then said, “She's a rare one, is she not, Jane?”
Again, you only said, “Yes, sir.”
If Mr. Rochester truly has feelings for you, then he would have sensed some discomfort that you had while talking about his future wife. This was not the case and he continued saying, “A strapper-a real strapper, Jane: big, brown, and buxom; with hair just such as the ladies of Carthage must have had. Bless me! There's Dent and Lynn in the stables! Go in by the shrubbery, through that wicket” (223)
Jane, do you see my point? Mr. Rochester is engrossed with Blanche Ingram; he begins to talk about her and of the things he likes about her, then he just leaves you where you are. From this conversation it would seem like you are the last thing on his mind.
When he gets married, what are you to do? It will be too late to express your feelings for him, lest you want to be a mistress. If you tell him now, do you really think he will leave Miss Ingram for you? She is a socialite and pretty, while you are the governess for Mr. Rochester's ward and not very easy on the eyes.
All that aside, does Mr. Rochester seem very fit for you? You are smart and level-headed; you should be able to remember all the flaws Mr. Rochester has, but love has blinded you too much. Mr. Rochester is disrespectful and arrogant.

3 comments:

  1. Well I completely disagree! I think Mr. Rochester has a reason to tell Jane all of that about Blanche. He wants to see a reaction from her to know exactly how she feels about him. And when he sees he isn't getting one he goes into more detail about Blanche. I think that Mr. Rochester has a like for Jane and trusts her. If he didn't, do you believe he would have went to her room to get her help after the stabbing of Mr.Mason? He lied to everyone else telling them it was a nightmare that the servant had had, but not to her. Well he didn't tell her the complete truth, but he at least told her Mr.Mason was stabbed. That shows that he's starting to get a sense of trust for her. Mr. Rochester just needs time. He will come out and tell Jane the truth, I think, but it's not going to just come out. Like for example, say you are going on a date with a guy you should come out and tell him all the skeletons in your closet. You need to take it slow but still tell him. Not telling him will just make the situation a lot worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Mr. Rochester is a little old to be playing games with a girl just to see what she will do. So, from what you've told me, this whole affair with Blanche is just to get Jane jealous? If Mr. Rochester is the kind of man that toys with women like that, just to find some sort of reaction, then that just supports my advice to Jane that she should find a better man.
    That's all fine and dandy that Mr. Rochester has a liking for Jane and trusts her, but is that enough for them to be together? Can they really build a foundation for a relationship just off of that?
    I think that depends on the situation. If it is the first date, then I don't see a reason to tell him of "all the skeletons in my closet". Let's say nothing goes on between us; we decide not to take things further, then what was the point in me telling him everything?
    I don't know why I just explained that whole scenario seeming that it doesn't really apply to Jane...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...you guys seem to know a lot about this?

    ReplyDelete