Monday, November 23, 2009

Hitting Rock Bottom

"My strength is quite failing me," I said in a soliloquy. "I feel I cannot go much farther. Shall I be an outcast again this night? While the rain descends so, must I lay my head on the cold, drenched ground? I fear I cannot do otherwise: for who will receive me? But it will be very dreadful, with this feeling of hunger, faintness, chill, and this sense of desolation--this total prostration of hope. In all likelihood, though, I should die before morning. And why cannot I reconcile myself to the prospect of death? Why do I struggle to retain a valueless life?" (335)

Jane has found out that Mr. Rochester has a wife in Thornfield Hall. She has made the decision to leave Mr. Rochester and Thornfield Hall in the past. I think Jane did the correct thing, but she also made the blunder of not taking into account how much money she had. Now she has fled and is in a village where she doesn't know anyone, she doesn't have any money, and she hasn't anywhere to spend the night. Jane has now degraded herself ;she use to have a job and earn money now she has hit rock bottom. She has sunk into some kind of depression. Jane looks at life in a different perspective now that she has to sleep outside and beg for food. I really feel that Jane has become hopeless and discourage. Jane has lost hope on her ability to raise again. Jane needs to remember who she is so she can find the strength to take control of her life again. When I say that Jane has hit rock bottom, I don't mean that she can't look for a way to regain herself. Otilio,my classmate, thinks otherwise. Otilio thinks that Jane hasn't hit rock bottom but really how low do you have to get to know when you have hit rock bottom? Here is a link to Otilio's blogg, so you can read further into this subject.
Honestly, I have thought about running away myself and I have come to the conclusion that it was beyond harder getting food, shelter, clothes, and company back then than it would be today. That doesn't take away the sad and horrific image that I picture when I see a women in the streets cold and hungry. In a way I see Jane now part of the people that I would see out on the street. Here is a picture, that might help you picture Jane the way I do.

1 comment:

  1. Jane is now in a tough situation. She has nothing. I believe that you have clearly explained how Jane feels. The picture also captured the same image I had in my mind about Jane. I would suggest that you talk more about how you can relate to Jane about your idea of running. What would be similar between you and Jane if you did do it.

    ReplyDelete