Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Falling.

It is hard to believe that Jane went from almost being Mrs. Rochester to a beggar on the streets. This is the lowest point in Jane's life. Her heart has just been broken, she ran away from her home, and now she is forced to live on the streets. An excerpt from the book will demonstrate what Jane has had to do in order to just survive.

A little before dark I passed a farm-house, at the open door of which the farmer was sitting, eating his supper of bread and cheese. I stopped and said -
"Will you give me a piece of bread? for I am very hungry." He cast on me a glance of surprise; but without answering, he cut a thick slice from his loaf, and gave it to me. I imagine he did not think I was a beggar, but only an eccentric sort of lady, who had taken a fancy to his brown loaf. As soon as I was out of sight of his house, I sat down and ate it.
I could not hope to get a lodging under a roof, and sought it in the wood I have before alluded to. But my night was wretched, my rest broken: the ground was damp, the air cold: besides, intruders passed near me more than once, and I had again and again to change my quarters; no sense of safety or tranquillity befriended me. Towards morning it rained; the whole of the following day was wet. Do not ask me, reader, to give a minute account of that day; as before, I sought work; as before, I was repulsed; as before, I starved; but once did food pass my lips. At the door of a cottage I saw a little girl about to throw a mess of cold porridge into a pig trough. "Will you give me that?" I asked.


Living outside? Begging for food? This is not the Jane we have come to know and love. Where has her pride gone? Maybe running away was not the right decision. Though it would not have looked proper, perhaps she should have gone to see her uncle. His stopping the wedding is a sign that he cares about her. Jane is young, but she is very mature. This whole situation with Mr. Rochester confused her; Jane is no longer clear-headed. How could Jane have fallen so low?

1 comment:

  1. You make a good point about her uncle, whom she seems to forget entirely. It's as if he is not really real to her.

    Remember to include your page citations.

    ReplyDelete