Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Why Mr. Rochester? Why?

“It simply consists in the existence of a previous marriage. Mr. Rochester has a wife now living.” (p.294)

These are two simple sentences that ruin Jane's wedding. Mr. Briggs has was the the person who said this remark about Mr. Rochester. This is the moment of truth when Mr. Rochester's skeletons come out of the closet. Mr. Rochester is married to another women and he thinks he can still marry Jane. What kind of person is he. Is he trying to merry the most women he can? Just using Jane and the others for his personal needs. At first, I supported Mr. Rochester when others thought he was an untrustworthy and suspicious person. I wanted Jane to marry Mr. Rochester because he seemed like a great person for her. Now with the new information Mr. Briggs is sharing with us, my thoughts towards Mr. Rochester has changed. He changed from this nice respectable man to a lying fake idiot. A man should never play a women's heart. It's very hurtful and especially to a women like Jane. She will be in great pain because she hasn't had any relation with a man. She has no experience with relationships and will not know how to handle her pain. Erika explains the first few stages Jane will go through after she has found out this terrible truth and Erika also explains Jane's reaction afterwards. Jane will feel like her heart has broken into many pieces like the picture on this blogg. She will feel her heart in great pain and agony. My thoughts towards Mr. Rochester has changed after this and he has to do something that shows his true love for Jane to redeem himself.

CarbonNYC, "Broken Heart," http://www.flickr.com/photos/carbonnyc/132922595/

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you about this, but not entirely. Yes, no man should play with a woman's heart, but Mr. Rochester's feelings were real. I knew there was something suspicious about this man, but I had no idea it would be something of this severity. Although Mr. Rochester really loves Jane he should have told her about his first marriage. The part I don't agree with you about is that I do not think Mr. Rochester was trying to be a "pimp" and have more than one wife. When I first found out that Mr. Rochester already had a wife I thought that he was a bad person. But once I found out what the circumstances were for his first marriage I began to forgive Mr. Rochester. I believe that people are being too harsh on Mr. Rochester about this; they should really think the circumstances over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well unlike you, I never thought that Mr. Rochester was the special one for Jane. I always thought he was hiding something, a secret. And now after this incident; we find out that he made a huge accident fifteen years ago: marring someone else, Bertha. Why didn't he ever told Jane about this? Why was he going to tell her something very important after a year and a day after their wedding? What do you think? Well I think that he was going to tell her after a year and a day, because by that time they would of had maybe a child. And maybe also because he was already married to Jane, and they would not get a divorce. But I guess we would never know what was going through Mr. Rochester's mind. To me Mr. Rochester never seemed like a respectable man, to me he always seemed like he was playing with Jane's feelings. For example like when ever he was disguised as a gypsy, and he was just trying to hear what Jane said. Or when he was telling her that he was going to marry Miss Ingram. Just like you, to me Mr. Rochester is a "lying fake idiot."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. Mr. Rochester isn't a good person. He tried to marry Jane while he already has a wife. People see this in a wrong way. Jane had feeling for Mr. Rochester and he also had feelings for Jane . Why didn't he just speak the truth? I don't think that he is trying to marry the most women he can. He really loved Jane and was willing to marry her. I see him as a good and bad person. Since, he loved Jane he wanted to prove to her that what he felt was real. By marrying her, this would be the only way to prove his love. If he married her he knew that she wouldn't stop loving him or even lose her. He had to do something. But what I think was wrong was that he never told Jane that he was already married and had a wife that was living in Thornfield.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True, Jane suffers a lot because of this event brought forth by the inconvinience of Mr. Rochester's other marriage, but I think that it is partly Jane's fault that this happens to her. I think this because she knew that Rochester had many hidden secrets and she still decided to go through the risk of finding out what they were. Due to this, I don't think you should completely blame Mr. Rochester for Jane's suffering. She suffered but at least she learned a valuable lesson. Don't trust mysterious men.

    ReplyDelete