Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Turtles Can Fly

The movie that most impacted me was Turtles Can Fly, I watched it when I was in 6th grade. At first, I think I got the plot theme of the movie but I just recently watched it and I got a different take on it. The movie expresses the life of 3 children that are innocent and have to go through life struggling. Turtles Can Fly is a movie that has a beautiful story line but yet it shows how children of the Turkish border are being treated and the life they go through while the U.S. invasion of Iraq is happening. When I was in the 6th grade, I couldn't understand the how this movie was such a great movie if at the end I felt bad. Now, I still have a sad feeling toward the end but I understand the signs of hope, family, and choices that make this movie a beautiful movie.
The event that, I can relate this to, is when Lenina and John go to the "feelies". After watching the film, John expresses to Lenina that he disliked the film and that he couldn't see how she can like it. The way I relate it, is that John is still to "new" or "unadjusted" to the society in order to like it. For example, when I was younger I found it sad but I really didn't understand the beautiful part of it, because I hadn't experienced or thought about those themes at that age.

3 comments:

  1. I completely understand your situation. We should have had a bigger class discussion about the movie in 6th grade. It was a sad but hopefilled documentary. It made me realize all the blessings that have been bestowed upon us, who are American. It also made me think about how unfair it was for undocumented citizens. By having American describe who we are, we are given: financial aid to go to college, government funded health care, and U.S protection. Why can't undocumented citizens have the same? They are just trying to find hope in a different country? In BNW I beg the differ with concerns to Bernard. I think he is perfectly informed about the situation he so longed to be in. He understands there culture, but wasn't conditioned by society to like it. How else is he possibly unadjusted?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the fact that you explained how you explained that your point of view changed. I think you should really focus on either comparing a little deeper to either BNW or your life. The reason I say this is because you seem to have very good thoughts and ideas. It will be good if you focus on one thing beacuse you will be able to articulate your ideas better. Right now your summary was really good, yet you rushed in your explanation on how it relates to BNW and to your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are being too sympathetic Eduardo. Although I do believe in equal right for everyone, I still think that the U.S. should first help itself than others. Once it's done helping itself, then it can begin helping others. This brings me to one of rules of BNW: STABILIZATION. Turtles can Fly does explain the current lives of some children. There is a feeling; however, of what can we do? Right now the U.S. owes trillions of dollars and we can't afford to just send money over there to help them.

    Ana, I think you see your 6th grade self as more like Bernard: a "savage" who doesn't know how the world works exactly. Once you had time to grow and learn more about the world, you became more like Lenina and understood how the world works. The movie moved you back then but it moved you more now because you had time to grow and gain knowledge of what was the significance of the movie you saw as a 6th grader. When you learned of other children around the world that are in a similar situation (Sierra Leone) and looked back to the movie, you understood a deeper meaning to it. That is how I see you relating to the movie in this post.

    ReplyDelete