Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Money is Respect

Throughout my life, I have been exposed to the idea that one only gets respected if he or she is a big money maker. There have been many movies made that depict this, Scarface, Get Rich or Die Trying, and many more, but it was a spanish music video that influenced me most.

El centenario by Los Tucanes de Tijuana
is a song with a video that shows the life of man who lives off of selling firewood. He starts off poor and has no or very little respect. He then turns to the wrong lifestyle, selling drugs, and virtually overnight becomes rich and is suddenly respected by all.

The video shows not only because one is poor people don't respect one, but also people show pity for one. Personally, that is one thing I do not like: people having pity for me. Therefore, this video influences me to have this sort of feeling of necessity for money. Thankfully, I have enough self control not to even consider making money by any means. Nonetheless, I am still left craving money and respect, and the media, movies, etc., is not doing anything to pacify my urge.

2 comments:

  1. I see that we don't differ much on our desire for wealth and glory, Adolf. I too feel that money is one of the gateways toward respect from those that put the poor down. However, I also think that most of the respect one would get from money would only be feigned respect that only shows its face in front of your face, and once you turn your back, so does that respect. Sometimes I have contradictory ideas about this concept. What do you think about this idea? Would feigned respect make you completely happy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are there also lots of films and other media that convey a different message -- that money or prestige do not convey the kind of respect (or happiness) that you really want?

    ReplyDelete