Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Crazy Stunts

One movie that influenced my thinking was Jackass 2. This movie is a comedy about a group of people doing outrageous inappropriate stunts that, in some way or form, hurts themselves or someone else. Some of the things they did throughout the movie aren't harmful to anyone, but are dangerous and sometimes extremely inappropriate.
Even though the things they did was dangerous and inappropriate, I found most of the things they did hilarious, so I was laughing throughout the movie. They were completely mindless throughout the movie doing outrageous things. For example they would let themselves get stung by bees, hit random people with different objects, bullfight, and pretend to be a old man and walk throughout the city (here is a link to the the things they did in Jackass 2). They would do all these extreme things, but it was still funny and kept me laughing.
For a few days after watching the movie, I was in the mindset that doing extreme things with you friends and hurting one another was funny. That doing some of the things would make my friends laugh and we would have a great time because thats what I got out of the movie. Thats what I was thinking for a few days after I saw the movie, because the movie put me in the mindset of doing these things. Such as in Brave New World, during and after watching the feelies, Lenina and John were in the mood for sexual pleasure. The movie influenced them to the point that they want to do what happened throughout the movie. Lenina and John were in the mindset of having sex.
After those few days I started to think about the movie and the things they did throughout the movie. I realized that the things they did were dumb and dangerous. I'm not going to do a stunt that could result in me breaking an arm or even worse. Everything they did in that movie was crazy and outrageous, and I don't have to do those things to make my friends laugh and have a fun time.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you: movies are very influential. Being a humorous guy myself, I could see myself influenced by the movie as well. Clearly, media has been influential since day one of its existence. Brave New World was published in 1932 and, already, since then, through the feelies, it is clear that media is influential. However, I am glad that you realize that you should, almost filter, the influence media has on you. That is, just because something is funny or is portrayed as appealing in movies, media, etc., you should not do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, I like the fact you can realize and relate it to the book in such a way. Naturally when you think of people hurting themselves you get sense of sorrow and sadness, but because of the influence of television and this movie in general you get the impression of comedy and humor. It’s a shame that we let television influence us in a negative notation. Do you think that this will ever change?

    ReplyDelete