Thursday, October 28, 2010

Life if beautiful

Movies have the power to make you think. After all, that's what they were designed to do. All movies have an underlying meaning that everyone is supposed to see and understand. I love watching movies because they help me see big picture things. I know that I living in America live pretty well, however in other countries, in different eras I'm oblivious to everything. At the end of the movie, Life is Beautiful, I was in dismay. I didn't understand how life was so beautiful, and I hated the name of the film for being so ignorant to the facts.
It was a film based during the Holocaust. A family was trapped, seperated, tortured, and yet life was beautiful. A child was hidden by his father successfully within his sleeping area and was saved. However, the father didn't meet the same fate. Instead, through his struggle to survive and reunite with his wife he is killed in the ending scenes. A son who suffered through the war and survived, who lost his father how is life beautiful?
In Brave New World a very similiar thing happens when Lenina and John go on their date.
"I don't think you ought to see things like that," he said, making haste to transfer from Lenina herself to the surrounding circumstances the blame for any past or possible future lapse from perfection.

"Things like what, John?"

"Like this horrible film."

"Horrible?" Lenina was genuinely astonished. "But I thought it was lovely."

"It was base," he said indignantly, "it was ignoble."

She shook her head. "I don't know what you mean." Why was he so queer? Why did he go out of his way to spoil things?

Lenina is shocked and disturbed that John didn't like the film. And John never really comes to comprehend why the civilized people like it. I experienced something of the same thing. When I was in utter shock at the film, it seemed I was the only one. My classmates understood that the life of the child was beautiful. It was in his eyes that the movie was being told. I remember Michael, explaining to me how the movie was in the eyes of the child. Almost the same reaction Lenina had about John spoiling things. I made the film seem like a horrible thing. However in the movie his father had shielded him from all the bad they were enduring. It changed my way of looking at life. I always thought I had it bad, but you know what, there are so many people that suffer now over small things that I feel I have no right to complain. My life is beautiful and it's my job to make the world a beautiful place. By whatever means are necessary and accessible to me. Purple Pinkie Week is something that is going to change the world. It's something that truly makes a difference and will make life beautiful.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, life is beautiful when you decided to focus on the greatness of it instead of the flaws of life. I see how you might have found it puzzling when you didn't see the "beautiful" part of the movie. One thing, I noticed you only took into account the film, the picture, not the theme or the message of the movie. Like micheal said, the little boy's life was beautiful because he was always shield from the bad, the way his father went through all the trouble to do so, is beautiful. The love it must have taken to realize that your son is exposed to such badness and evil and risk your life to save his childhood and mind is beautiful. His tempt and will to shield his son is what I found beautiful and admirable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think it's better to be happy and live in ignorance or to be knowledgeable and suffer? The cliche says ignorance is bliss. I found in my life it truly is. It's helped me cope with a lot of stuggles I've dealt with. It is better to not know or ignore things that make me sad in order for me to be happier. Life is a strange creature. It's always changing and adapting to the way we want to see it. I believe happiness is in the palm of your hands, you just have to fight. We must never agree to give up and always be in search of what makes us happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting discussion. Can you add a link to the film and a page citation for BNW?

    ReplyDelete