Thursday, October 29, 2009

Simply Descriptive

I hastened to drive from my mind the hateful notation I had been conceiving respecting Grace Poole; it disgusted me. I compared myself with her, and found we were different. Bessie Leaven had said I was quite a lady; and she spoke truth: I was a lady. And now I looked much better than I did when Bessie saw me: I had more colour and more flesh; more life, more vivacity; because I had brighter hopes and keener enjoyments.”

This is the human race in its weakest hour: We find ourselves disgusted with what we think, when we feel the need to compare ourselves to others. Jane has lived through a lot of struggles; yet this seems to be her weakest moment. She hates that she compares herself to another woman and in a haughty way admits she is better. She seems arrogant, when she compares herself to someone who will probably never amount to anything than being a simple maid, while she, an educated governess, dares to say she is better. This is what I love about this book its realistic with emotions. Though the characters are fictional the emotions they live are what humans sometimes feel. This is another simple but complex way of looking at things. The simple fact that humans actually experience and feel like they are better makes it all the better. The story then becomes a novel about our human emotions. The emotions come to life because they are real. We actually sometimes find ourselves comparing each other. Though simple on the outside, this has a very intricate interior. Jane feels disgusts with her thoughts, which makes me correlate with her. I sometimes do compare myself to others, and though it isn't something very admirable it is my human defect. We are able to see Jane's greatest defect, her lack of confidence. She's an intelligent young women, yet she's insecure. This insecurity is what gives her the human character. She is a fictional protagonist but her actions make her come to life. Bronte does well in teaching us how to make a character come to life.

3 comments:

  1. Of course, it's natural to feel insecure. People compare themselves to others all the time. And yes, sometimes people admit to themselves that they are better than most. I think it gives them the self confidence they need to feel good about themselves. It's okay because we all think we're better than someone else. The only difference is that we don't blurt it out as if it were a fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Jane also comparing herself to her former self here? Is Jane disgusted at herself for comparing herself favorably to Grace Poole or is she disgusted by Grace Poole? (This means looking closely at the "it" in the first sentence.) Why is this even an issue for Jane? Why is she considering Grace's character and demeanor in the first place?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and be sure to give the page number.

    ReplyDelete