Friday, October 30, 2009

An Advice

"...you will come someday to a craggy pass of the channel, where the whole of life's streams will be broken up into whirl and tumult, foam and noise: either you will be dashed to atoms on crag points, or lifted up and borne on by some master wave in to a calmer current-as I am now"(144)

This quote reminds me of the time when my dad told me that I was old enough to hear this: you're going to reach a point in life where, you have a problem and two choices: you can either fail alone or fail together. I didn't comprehend what he was saying until he explained. My dad gave me this advice to make me aware that in my future I will come across problems where the solution is going to be failure. He stressed the fact that there's two different kinds of failures; I have to pick the best one.

The same situation happens with Jane. Mr. Rochester is older and more experienced in things he knows Jane hasn't encountered in her life yet. He decides to give her an advice,because he has seen that Jane is trustworthy. Mr. Rochester gives Jane the advice: that one day she too will come across a problem where there's either a wrong or right.

For example, when someone comes across a problem of major gravity, and he/she thinks that he will never find a way out. That person should read this quote because I think it opens a chance of hope. Just knowing there's a chance for everything to be cleared up in the problem gives great inspiration to keep going.

1 comment:

  1. What can save you during these terrible times? Do you hope for something to save you, something that just comes out of nowhere? What does this tell us about Mr. Rochester? What about accepting failure as an option? Can this sometimes be the best choice?

    ReplyDelete