Thursday, October 29, 2009

Céline's Infidelity

“On recognizing him, the fang of the snake, jealousy, was instantly broken; because at the same moment my love for Céline sank under an extinguisher. A woman who could betray me for such a rival was not worth contending for: she deserved only scorn; less, however, than I, who had been her dupe.” (146)


Here Mr. Rochester speaks about Céline being disloyal to him. He is telling Jane of the account where Céline cheated on him with another man. On one or two occasions, I too have felt this jealousy rush through my body like the venom of a snake bite. This quote reminded me of the time where my girlfriend left me for another guy. The jealousy rushes through your body so quickly at a sudden rush as if you are having a heart attack. Giving her everything she could ask for, only to throw it away for someone else is heart breaking. And the change of emotions for the girl is unbelievable. Just as Mr. Rochester described it; it is crazy how one minute you could love her and with one disloyal act, all that was there is gone. For Céline to trick him and do this behind his back was miserable, when she was aware of the love that Mr. Rochester had for her.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I know what you are trying to express. Jealousy in that form is very painful and can disrupt you emotions severely. When you talk about how this jealousy is like venom rushing through your body, explain what kind of actions or emotions you can experience when jealousy takes over you. Elaborate on what kind of things someone can expect from a person that is jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you; I think that it's not fair when you are with someone, and you're falling in love with that person, and the next thing that person does to you is trade you for someone else. I have this happened to me once; I was falling in love with my boyfriend: I was actually thinking that he was the one I was going to marry. But next thing I found out he was cheating on me with my best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is strange that when I read the first part of this article, many memories and feelings came rushing in to me. I can say I have experienced these same emotions in one way or another when it comes to being jealous over someone you love. I agree with you and Mr. Rochester about the emotions and feelings that one feels toward someone who has betrayed you, but you should also consider how you feel toward yourself for letting yourself be stupified by that person. I know that one feels hate for oneself and cannot trust oneslef to trust anyone else again, but perhaps you can elaborate on how you felt or how this affected Mr. Rochester's personality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete