Thursday, October 29, 2009

Confidence

Mr. Rochester: "It is not its cure. Reformation may be its cure; and I could reform-- I have strength yet for that-- if-- but where is the use of thinking of it, hampered, burdened, cursed as I am? Besides, since happiness irrevocably denied me, I have a right to get pleasure out of life: and I will get it, cost what it may." (pg. 138-139)

This quote gave me a better sense of who Mr. Rochester really is. It kind of made me feel bad for him because it seems as if he can never find true happiness because something always goes wrong. Mr. Rochester isn't a bad person, so why shouldn't he be able to live a life full of happiness? All he wants is to be happy.
I like how this quote shows his attitude towards life. It shows that he is not a quitter. He is the type of person who is willing to do whatever it takes to get what he wants and wherever he wants.
I like this about him because I myself don't really like to give up. I try my hardest not to be a quitter. I like to finish what I start. To me, quitting shows people your weak spots, and you should always show that you are strong.
This quote also makes Mr. Rochester look like a pretty confident person. In the last sentence, he makes it clear that he is going to get pleasure out of life, not just think about it and ignore it. He knows what he wants and he is willing to do whatever it takes to get it.


3 comments:

  1. There is another idea to this quote. But to answer it you must ask the question, why is Mr. Rochester telling anybody this? He shows his sensitivity towards Jane as he tells her this. This quote gives you the idea of how comfortable he is with her. It reveals to her that he isn't a dark looking person after all. He also tells her that he has had a difficult life and still is having one. In reality, anyone doesn't reveal their personal life to random people.Mr. Rochester still does it even though he barely knows Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you and Mr.Rochester; I'm not a quitter. But I have tryed to quit before, and even though I have tryed I don't, because like you I like to finish what I have started. Also because I don't like showing people that I'm weak, and I try really hard not to be weak and have confidence in myself and what I do. I would say that I'm a very private person; I don't like to be telling people about my problems or about what I do outside of school. I'm not sure why, but like Mr. Rochester I can tell who's honest and trustworthy, and when I know, I can trust that person even if I don't know him/her for a long period of time, and I can tell that person some of my private stuff. And like Mr. Rochester I try to live life to the fullest, no regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting insights here. Can you look more closely at a time when you wanted to give up, but didn't? What kept you going?

    ReplyDelete