Thursday, October 29, 2009

Jane Eyre

“... I will keep my word: I will break obstacles to happiness, to goodness—yes, goodness; I wish to be a better man than I have been; than I am...” (145)

This quote is one that is concise yet profoundly meaningful. It is one that values the meaning of keeping one's word or promise. Mr. Rochester is saying that he will do whatever it takes for him to become a better man; and change, even if he has to break the rules. This is great, because nowadays people seem to forget the value of their word as if it were nothing. That is a terrible thing to do because it can lead to many problems. And people will no longer trust or have faith in you. This is something that I have had to witness unwillingly. I know that this is true because I am irritated with my brother who promised me one of his trucks when I graduate. And guess what, he sold it before I even got the chance to graduate. Now he and I do not speak, not simply for that, but because he has broken his word on several occasion. Now I do not know when to believe him or when not to.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. People don't know how to keep their word nowadays. I don't really like people who say one thing and do the exact opposite, and I can see why you might dislike your brother. But sometimes people break promises without realizing it and end up hurting someone unintentionally, and that's when they decide to change for good-- when the damage is done. Maybe Mr. Rochester has done some kind of damage to someone and he now regrets it and wants to change-- for good.

    ReplyDelete