Thursday, October 29, 2009

Being a better person

Being a Better Person

I will break obstacles to happiness, to goodness-yes, goodness; I wish to be a better man than I have been. (Pg 145)

When I first read this it completely got my attention, because I can relate it to myself. Mr. Rochester says that he will to anything so that he can be happy. I feel like that every day but I don’t know how to get it. And then he talks about how he wishes he could be a better person. I also feel like this, I don’t really care if I’m not the best in school or at other things as long as by the end of the day I know that I was the best person I could be. That I don’t regret anything that day and by knowing that I’d feel good.

3 comments:

  1. Although I agree with what your saying, I don't think that you should be preoccupied with your happiness. In a sense, that is being selfish because all you worry about is you yourself being happy. May it be that you are surrounded by people who cannot seem to find happiness and this brings you down? Well, if so, don't you think it would be a good idea to help others gain happiness and maybe that way you will gain genuine happiness?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, I try to make of every day the best. I try to be happy all the time, and to not let negativity bring me down. But I'm going to tell you something, in order to be happy you need to have high self-esteem, because if you don't then how can you ever be happy? You should not let other people bring you down, and like you said, as long as by the end of the day you know that you were the best person you could be, don't let anything else bring you down. And like I always say to myself "life life to the fullest, no regrets", I think that this is something you should do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's take a look at what Mr. Rochester is saying. He wants to "break obstacles to happiness." Why wouldn't we want to overcome the obstacles to our happiness? Why wouldn't we want to fight for our happiness? (But, as Adolf says, we might have to consider that this may come at some cost to others.) Also, what makes us think that we are not good enough? Are these perhaps conflicting ideas at times? Can we both be good and seek our own happiness?

    ReplyDelete