Sunday, December 6, 2009

Things do happen for a reason.

"All the house was still; for I believe all, except St. John and myself, were now retired to rest. The one candle was dying out: the room was full of moonlight. My heart beat fast and thick: I heard its throb. Suddenly it stood still to an inexpressible feeling that thrilled it through, and passed at once to my head and extremities. The feeling was not like an electric shock, but it was quite as sharp, as strange, as startling: it acted on my senses as if their utmost activity hitherto had been but torpor, from which they were now summoned and forced to wake. They rose expectant: eye and ear waited while the flesh quivered on my bones.

"What have you heard? What do you see?" asked St. John. I saw nothing, but I heard a voice somewhere cry -

"Jane! Jane! Jane!"--nothing more.

"O God! what is it?" I gasped.

I might have said, "Where is it?" for it did not seem in the room-- nor in the house--nor in the garden; it did not come out of the air- -nor from under the earth--nor from overhead. I had heard it-- where, or whence, for ever impossible to know! And it was the voice of a human being--a known, loved, well-remembered voice--that of Edward Fairfax Rochester; and it spoke in pain and woe, wildly, eerily, urgently."


After a whole year and trying to be forced to marry St. John, Jane hears her name being called. She doesn't know from where, or why her name is being called but she does know this, it's Rochester's voice. At this moment she doesn't what to think or what exactly it means that her name is being called, but her heart is telling her to go see Mr. Rochester. Throughout the year she has been through a lot. From poverty and having to live on the streets and beg for food to inheriting 20,000 pounds from her Uncle John and finding out she has family. She went from having nothing to everything, well not exactly everything. The one thing that's missing in her life is love! And at that exact moment she sees it. Over the years she has become independent and has control over her own life. She has grown morally and I believe she is now ready to marry. Before with Mr. Rochester, she had love but not independence. It was like she was his charity even though he didn't mean to; he meant it out of love. But she wasn't comfortable with that. And I think that Bertha was just an excuse for her to leave. She knew marrying Rochester was wrong at the time and couldn't find herself to say no. But thanks to Bertha, Jane became who she is and what she wanted to be. She needed to find out who she was. And after a rough experience she knows who she is. I believe that everything happens for a reason. This was for Jane's benefit and now she is ready. She leaves to find that Mr. Rochester's wife,Bertha, set the house on fire and killed herself. And he was injured; he is blind and his missing a hand. But even through everything, Jane still loves him. She knows its right to marry now. And she does, as she says at the beginning of chapter 38 "Reader, I married him." She was proud but not only because she is with the love of her life but because she knows and feels like it was the right thing to do. They both now are equal in status ,and that makes Jane feel a whole lot better. If I were her, I would have felt the same. I would have felt people would have thought I married him for his money; even though it wasn't true. But she didn't do it because of that reason she did it for herself. She gave up love! That was the biggest risk to take, but she did it because she felt it was necessary. But it all paid off. She is finally happy!

True love doesn't have a happy ending, because true love never ends. Letting go is one way of saying I love you. Attached to this quote is a link to a article that I found interesting. It's about should someone let go of the people they love.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with what you have to say.
    When I read this book, I too thought that everything Jane was forced to go through made her the person she was in the end. Everything that she had to go through really made her appreciate everything she received in the end. Everything does happen for a reason, and I believe that the reason Jane had to go through everything she went through was because she had to be prepared for what she would go through in the end.
    -Aby. (:

    ReplyDelete