Sunday, December 6, 2009

The risk in running away


Picture taken by: John-Morgan

"What have you heard? What do you see?" asked St. John. I saw nothing, but I heard a voice somewhere cry -

"Jane! Jane! Jane!"--nothing more.

"O God! what is it?" I gasped.

I might have said, "Where is it?" for it did not seem in the room-- nor in the house--nor in the garden; it did not come out of the air- -nor from under the earth--nor from overhead. I had heard it-- where, or whence, for ever impossible to know! And it was the voice of a human being--a known, loved, well-remembered voice--that of Edward Fairfax Rochester; and it spoke in pain and woe, wildly, eerily, urgently.

"I am coming!" I cried. "Wait for me! Oh, I will come!" I flew to the door and looked into the passage: it was dark. I ran out into the garden: it was void.

"Where are you?" I exclaimed.

The hills beyond Marsh Glen sent the answer faintly back--"Where are you?" I listened. The wind sighed low in the firs: all was moorland loneliness and midnight hush." (427)

I always knew that Jane Eyre a woman in love with Eward Fairfax Rochester was going to break down and lose it. I had a feeling that this moment would come. Jane has gone through homelessness and heart breaking situations;she has hidden her feelings for a long period of time. Jane tried to hide her feelings, and for to long she has pretended to be firm and strong when her distance from her loved one (Mr. Rochester) was killing her. Finally, she broke down and started to hear the voice of Mr. Rochester calling her name. I don't think Jane was going crazy; I think she just heard what she wanted to hear. When she asked for guidance: "Show me, show me the path!" I entreated of Heaven." the voice of human in need of help calling her name. It just so happens to be that the timing Jane heard the voice of Mr. Rochester was when she was reconsidering St. John's offer: to marry him and go to India. Luckily, Jane realized that she couldn't run away from her problems that she had left behind in Thornfield Hall.

Running away from your problems isn't a very good idea because when you run away you leave behind the possibility for change without your consent. What I mean by this is that, when you leave or run away you take yourself out of the possibility of changing outcomes. One I know for sure is that you will always cross the same path you used to get away from a problem. For example, what would have happened if she would have stayed and become Mr. Rochester's other women. Would she have met her cousins? Would have Mr. Rochester lost his eyesight and hand? Would she have become an independent woman? Also these question lead to a decision. Jane took the risk of running away. Yes, Mr. Rochester lost his eyesight and hand but that didn't matter to Jane. Jane had earned so much more in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment