Saturday, December 5, 2009

Leaving it all behind

...Come to the sofa, and sit down now, Miss Elliot."
I gave an involuntary half-start at hearing the alias: I had forgotten my new name. Mr Rivers, whom nothing seemed to escape, noticed it at once.
"You said your name was Jane Elliot?" he observed.
"I did say so: and it is the name by which I think it expedient to be called at present: but it is not my real name, and when i hear it, it sounds strange to me."
"Your real name you will not give?"
"No: I fear discovery above all things; and whatever disclosure would lead to it, I avoid.(354)


Becoming a new person and forgetting your past requires hard work and dedication. You have to mean what you say and be loyal to the decisions that you make. Changing your name is not one of the best ways to forget about your past, only your actions can justify that. By changing your name you're only trying to suppress your past, but you can hide or change your past, only make up for it in the future and learn from your mistakes. I think that you should never try to forget your past because the memories hold many stories that you can reflect on when the time is needed. Hiding your identity is a sign that says that you a ashamed of who you are and where you come from. Never be a shamed of the things that you have done, because everything is done for a reason. Leaving Mr. Rochester was a hard and tough desions, but it was also smart. Its an old saying that "if it's true love let it go and it will come back." This means that when your relationship with your significant other is not at its best, then let it go if problems continue to escalate and if the love is pure and real it will come back. It was also a good idea for you to leave Thornfield Hall because you needed some time to think about the situation away from Mr. Rochester. No matter how much you regret, resent, or try leave your past behind,
trust and believe that it will eventually catch up with you.

The image below describes a young lady trying to leave her past behind and start a new life. I would like to give credit to megwills on flickr.


No comments:

Post a Comment