Thursday, September 16, 2010

To Be Alien.

"Hence the laughter of the women to whom he made proposals, the practical joking of his equals among men. The mockery made him feel an outsider; and in feeling and outsider he behaved like one, which increased the prejudice against him and intensified the contempt and hostility aroused by his physical defects. Which in turn increased his sense of being alien and alone."(Huxley Pg. 65)
Throughout Brave New World Bernard Marx struggles with the conflict that he feels alone and alien, as if he does not belong in this society. He feels as if everyone around him criticizes him for who he is and because of this he acts more and more like an outsider. I too feel like an outsider at times. Although I'm sure that it is nowhere near as bad as what Bernard puts up with in the book. None the less I do find myself being alone and on my own most of the time.

3 comments:

  1. Everyone feels themselves alienated at times, but how have you felt alienated? Have you felt like Bernard Marx before? I remember the first time i felt lonely and alienated was when i came to the U.S and I had to go to an all English school even though I didn't know one word of the language. At first I felt bad because I felt left out but later on I felt this ambition in me that made me want to learn English to show them boy at school my "coolness". Sometimes being outcast does this to you. Have you felt this way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kevin. Everyone does feel alienated at times. Maybe when entering a new school or going to a place that is outside your comfort zone. Like with me, my friends are always going out during the week and I can't for two reasons: I get home really late, and I always have a lot of homework to do. And that makes me feel bad sometimes because I am not allowed any "me time". I guess we just have to deal with it though. Its normal to feel alienated. Just don't change who you are because of it. You should never let anyone change you no matter what. God made you the way you are for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent comments all around. I really like this part of Otilio's post: "He feels as if everyone around him criticizes him for who he is and because of this he acts more and more like an outsider."

    Do you think you are an alien sometimes because you are an independent thinker -- someone who doesn't just buy into the expectations of the crowd? This is a good thing -- especially if you find more independent thinkers like you.

    ReplyDelete