Sunday, September 19, 2010

Being Different

“What the two men shared was the knowledge that they were individuals.” (67) Brave New World

Bernard Marx and Helmholtz Watson, both know they are different, they aren’t like the other Alpha Pluses. They’ve become aware of the physical and mental differences from the people that surrounded them. Bernard Marx is eight centimeters shorter than the expected height of an Alpha plus. He’s as tall as a Gamma, which is really embarrassing. And like Helmholtz, they are “a little too able.” In this society “a little too able” can be a thread. Maybe one of these days they will get tired of being told what to do and they might rebel. They would stop being followers and will become leaders. Another character that is different in her own way is Lenina. Society forces her to act a certain way so she can be like everyone else; “every one belongs to every one else.” (43) Lenina’s problem is that she doesn’t want to be promiscuous. She doesn’t want to be sleeping with everyone like everybody does, she wants Henry to be the only man in her life. And society disapproves of this.

I’ve never being someone that likes to follow the crowd. I’ve always try to stay true to myself, and don’t fall into peer pressure. Every where you go you will always have to face peer pressure. You have two choices: do what everyone else is doing or stay true to your self and never regretting what you might’ve regretted.
And this is why I relate to Lenina. She stays true to her self and doesn’t care if society doesn’t approve of her decisions. Being different is what makes you, you.

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy you compared Helmholtz and Bernard. I thought I might be the only one who thought they would rebel. If it was me controlling the show I would've killed them. They pose a threat to my "perfect society". How would you handle these two characters if you controlled the world? I don't even understand why they are still being kept alive, unless if they have some greater purpose which I highly doubt. It intrigues me a lot that your against following the crowd. Is that always a bad thing? Sometimes the crowd might be the better way to go. And you give advice on how not to fall for that temptation, which I think is good, but what should people do if they've already fallen for the crowd?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a part in the book where her and Fanny are conversating and Fanny tells her that "everyone belongs to everyone". Lennina refuses to do this but eventually Fanny makes her change her mind.

    I like how you're comparing yourself to Lennina. But I've noticed that in our society people act diferently because they want to fit in. I'm one of the people that tries to stay true to myself but because society is not always the same as me, I have to change my ways. Sometimes I have different views of religion and theories in science but I don't say anything because I don't want to disrespect a teacher or priest.

    ReplyDelete