Thursday, September 16, 2010

Society Shouldn't be Promoting

I can compare a similar conflict in the novel Brave New World with our world. I notice that Lenina doesn't feel like she fits in society because she's not promiscuous. Huxley writes, "Lenina shook her head. 'Somehow,' she mused, 'I hadn't been feeling very keen on promiscuity lately. There are times when one doesn't. Haven't you found that too, Fanny?' Fanny nodded her sympathy and understanding. 'But one's got to make the effort,' she said, sententiously, 'one's got to play the game. After all, every one belongs to every one else.'"(Huxley 43)

Because society promotes promiscuity and Lenina doesn't want to be promiscuous she is forced to be someone she doesn't want to be. In my world, society promotes sex. In just advertisements, I see men with women all over them, men that don't have to be loyal to women, and it provokes guys to think that women are basically a game. I think that is wrong because more men are starting to being unable to control themselves and end up raping women, and violating them. This is becoming a problem in our world and its hard to stop it because 'sex sells' and men are going to keep getting brain washed.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad someone is starting to talk about the influence of media. Keep this in mind as we pursue this more deeply in the second semester.

    ReplyDelete