Thursday, September 16, 2010

Helmholtz Watson Relation

"This Escalator-Squash champion, this indefatigable lover (it was said that he had had six hundred and forty different girls in under four years), this admirable committee man and best mixer had realized quite suddenly that sport, women, communal activities were only, so far as he was concerned, second bests. Really, and at the bottom, he was interested in something else. But in what? In what? That was the problem which Bernard had come to discuss with him–or rather, since it was always Helmholtz who did all the talking, to listen to his friend discussing, yet once more." (pg. 67 Brave New World by Aldous Huxley)

Helmholtz has realized that he is smarter than the average Alpha plus in the society. He is thinking more and wants more out of life. I'm not saying that I'm smarter than the averaged person, but I do think a lot. Sometimes when I can't sleep, I just lay in bed and think about everything. I even think about how life can be boring and I want more than that. I even think of ways to make life more interesting. I don't think I will never be satisfied because in reality, I don't know what to do or think of. I don't think he and I will be satisfied with the things we have and want more. I think this is due to the fact that society wants us to do something and expects us to repeat the process until we die. For example, I have been at school for the last 12 years or my life and I'm going for 5 more years. I feel like I want something else like he does.

1 comment:

  1. I like this part of your comment best: "I just lay in bed and think about everything. I even think about how life can be boring and I want more than that. I even think of ways to make life more interesting."

    I understand. It's up to you, you know...

    ReplyDelete